Wednesday, July 24, 2013

He Chose Me

What comes to mind when you think of a beautiful, rich life?

A few years ago I would have answered the above question in a very different way, but today I find myself in one of the most beautiful, vibrant places in the world. Each morning I wake up to children of all ages, staring at me with big, brown eyes. I love how each child has a distinct look to them, a colorful personaility, each unique in their own way. My favorite part of waking up in Jinja, Uganda is waking up to the children's voices, hearing their laughter.
"Good morning mommy."
 "Mommy, good afternoon." 
Hearing 61 children call you mommy, seeing the joy on their faces, hearing their laughter, is my answer to the above question. A beautiful, rich life is a life that is full of unconditional love, without hesitation.
The kids have taught me that; to love. That is my agenda, that is my every day plan. How can I show the love of Jesus in every situation I am in?

Coming to Africa has been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. God has used it to challenge me; to break my heart, and to help me face the reality that this world is facing. He has used it to show me my own heart, which had turned gray, full of pride, bitterness, and anger from Satan's tight hold on my life. I have been pushed out of my comfort zone in so many ways, sharing my whole testimony for the first time in front of dozens of women, and teaching bible lessons to children and teenagers. My first trip to Africa I knew not one single person I was going with at the start. After constant disappointment in my life, my heart knew I needed to be all in for God, no matter what it cost, or it entailed. Yet, each time I have had to step out in faith for God, He has provided me with so much more than I could ever have asked for. He is opening up my eyes to see that He has given me so much more than I ever thought I had, and He continues to surprise me day in and day out, over and over again.

I think the greatest thing Jesus has taught me through everything He has shown me is that I can't expect things or peple to fill the God-shaped void in my heart that has been there since I can remember. God has filled our hearts with longing, but we don't know what we are longing for until we see the breathtaking God. This statement is so true to my life. He is in fact what I have been searching for, chasing after, striving to reach my whole life. The people of Africa, the beautiful children, have shown me the breathtaking God and the love He has for me. I was living such a Me-filled life a few years ago. Our culture pushes us towards pursuing a life lived for ourselves, yet I can't help but remember how empty my life truly seemed to be. Nothing I ever accomplished was good enough. The joy never lasted of reaching my highest goals of achievement. I worshiped many other gods; the god of achievement, the god of family, the god of money, the god of entertainment, and most of all, THE GOD OF ME.
I had to rid my life of all the extra stuff that was in fact dragging me further and further away from where I needed to be; at the center of God's will. Despite disappointing God over and over again, choosing my own way time after time, He never stopped pursuing me, never stopped loving me, never gave up on me. God disrupted my life in a way that I never thought possible, in the form of breaking my heart for those in need in Africa and in Nicaragua, and teaching me what it really meant to live a life of love for Him.

I rejoice in the fact that I am brought to tears by leaving the precious children I have grown to love, in the many places God has sent me. I leave a piece of my heart behind in every country, every village. Each child has brought joy into my heart that I cant even begin to explain. The greatest part about it is that this joy is a blessing and gift from God that doesn't leave. I haven't gone a day without having this joy in my heart, and I can't thank God enough for giving me this special gift. I have figured out this joy is from knowing that God loves me so much, more than I could ever begin to comprehend. He has been waiting for me to give my life to Him completely, for so many years.

Today I am thankful; thankful for the beautiful life He has given me, filled with beautiful children and people to love everywhere He sends me. :)
This is the beautiful, rich life He has promised us all. The question is; Are you willing to take His hand and have Him show you the way?
Love to all from Our Own Home,
Meghann

No comments:

Post a Comment